Record Details

NHER Number:19785
Type of record:Building
Name:The Old Guildhall

Summary

A timber framed building, which may date back to around 1500, with later alterations. The building has chequered brickwork, a crownpost roof, and two staircases with ovens underneath them.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 0642 8821
Map Sheet:TM08NE
Parish:BANHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

July 1951. Listed, Grade II.
Now two dwellings. Late 16th century timberframed, part wattle and daub, part clay lump, brick skin on ground floor. Two storeys and attics. Jettied upper storey, close studding tenoned into bressumer. Three straight braces to timber frame, wallplate exposed. 18th/19th century windows. External west stack, central stack and internal east stack. Two rear outshuts early 17th century. Some chequered brickwork to lower storey. One two-light mullioned window. Interior has longitudinal central passage. Two staircases, both with ovens underneath. Crownpost roof, octagonal post with polygonal moulded bases and capitals supporting two arched braces, side and crown purlins, tie beams on arched braces.
See (S1) for the complete listing details.
From description of roof this sounds earlier than late 16th century, nearer 1500 (E. Rose (NAU)).
E. Rose (NAU) 2 December 1983.

Grid reference corrected by District Council 17 July 1986.

Monument Types

  • GUILDHALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 191.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1169078.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service