Record Details

NHER Number:1774
Type of record:Building
Name:Site of Peterstone Priory

Summary

The site of an Augustinian priory founded before 1200 and later used as a combination priory and hospital. Little now remains, although the current 19th century farmhouse and barn incorporate some original walls and doorways. These buildings also contain much reused masonry.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 8617 4299
Map Sheet:TF84SE
Parish:BURNHAM OVERY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

28 July 1977. Visit.
Augustinian, founded before 1200; annexed by Canons of Walsingham 1449 as a combined priory and hospital.
Pevsner says a hoodmoulded doorway and other stones remain in the rear of the farmhouse; I could not get access to these but otherwise all the buildings here are 18th century or later.
E. Rose, (NAU).

Poor photograph of remains on (S1).
St Joseph aerial photograph in Norfollk Air Photograph Library.
E. Rose (NAU).

Revisited 1 February 1979 when rear accessible.
Though rest of farmhouse all of Peterstone brick, rear wall is of flint and reused masonry, with stone quoins at each end, though overlapped now by brick side walls.
Kitchen doorway is 14th century though cut into by modern door, north gable of brick barn is also of flint and reused stone, and part of its east wall formerly covered by a penthouse is the same, with round-headed large windows blocked in ?17th or early 18th century red brick quite unlike the other brickwork. Farmworkers claimed there were original windows hidden by the looseboxes, etc.
E. Rose (NAU).

Monument Types

  • BARN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOSPITAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 233.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Burnham Overy [4].
<S1>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 84 SE 13.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service