Record Details

NHER Number:1772
Type of record:Building
Name:Union Mill (formerly Town Mill)

Summary

A watermill with an attached tower mill and associated buildings.The watermill has a datestone of 1737 and the tower mill has one of 1814. The watermill is of red brick with a pantiled roof. It was initially two storeys high, the third storey being added in about 1814, and a weatherboarded extension in 1820. The tower mill is of black tarred brick. Some machinery survives in the water mill, but none in the tower. At the east end of the watermill is an attached miller's house, dating to 1737 (west end), then 1744 (centre part) and lastly an eastern addition of about 1814.
It is understood that all the buildings have now been converted to residential use.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 8426 4261
Map Sheet:TF84SW
Parish:BURNHAM OVERY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

21 February 1978. Visited.
Wind and watermill.
Tower of derelict brick towermill built against watermill. Exterior all modernised. Georgian millers house to east with columned porch.
E. Rose (NAU).

Shown on (S1) as watermill only. Windmill is dated 1814. Known as Union Mills.
Dismantled 1893; tower burnt out 1943-5.
Information from [S1].
E. Rose (NAU) 29 January 1982.

Watermill is dated 1737, and datestone on mill of 1814 refers at same time to peace in that year.
Third storey on watermill probably of 1814. Brick and weatherboarded north extension of about 1820. Mill bridge with keystone dated 1753. Undershot waterwheel. Possibly by Whitmore and Binyon, Wickham Market. No machinery in windmill.
Mill house of three builds, 1737, 1744 (from map evidence) at centre, and about 1814 east; seven bay two storeys, L shaped; two columned Doric porches, 18th century fine staircase, Kent overmantle and panelling in original section.
Stables dated 1812.
Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NAU) 21 August 1984.

23 July 1991. NLA air photography.
Photographs show mill
M. Flitcroft (NLA) February 1993

(S3) and press cuttings (S4), (S5), (S6) and (S7) in file.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SITE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SITE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF8442 Q,R,W-X,AA-AD,AH.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1999. Stunning. 26 November.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 232.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S3>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. Plans to convert mill 'criminal'. 23 March.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. [Sale advertisement for Burnham Overy Union Mill]. 6 April.
<S6>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. A 'Dickens' time warp in Burnham. 28 April.
<S7>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1999. Glorious views from watermill. 2 July.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service