Record Details

NHER Number:1765
Type of record:Building
Name:Burnham Overy windmill

Summary

An early 19th century tower windmill, the tower being black tarred brick topped by an onion shaped cap. The mill was a dwelling from 1926 before being acquired by the National Trust in 1958. It was restored in the 1980s and is now leased as a holiday home. Its internal machinery has been removed.

Images

  • Burnham Overy windmill.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TF 8378 4375
Map Sheet:TF84SW
Parish:BURNHAM OVERY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

19 March 1976. Visited.
Windmill. 1814.
A towermill perfect outside with onion cap, sails and capwheel complete. Modern buildings around base. A notice says that it is now used as a dwelling and that no machinery remains inside.
E.Rose (NAU).

The D.O.E claim the sail frames are older than the mill, being 18th century.
E. Rose.

(S1) disputes the D.O.E claim, and also the date on the notice, saying it is really 1816. New stocks were erected in 1957, and the present slotted sail frames are for Cubitt's patent invented 1807, so they could not be 18th century. The last miller was in 1922.
E. Rose 29 January 1982.

See photographs and cuttings in file

Monument Types

  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. Plain sailing at the mill. 11 January.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1979. [Articles on the proposed restoration of Burnham Overy Windmill and Burnham Overy Watermill].
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 84 SW M; TF 84 SW 21.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. Sails in sight as stocks fitted. 18 July.
---Photograph: C55.408.3 &4..
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 233.
---Photograph: 1959. Photographs of Burnham Overy windmill. Black & white.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. [unknown]. [unknown]. 9 January.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service