|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period finds scatter|
Neolithic or Bronze Age scrapers, pottery dating from the Roman to the medieval periods, and undated metal working debris, found by fieldwalking.
Images - none
1962 and 1985.
Fieldwalking finds south of Friary field.
Iron slag, animal bones and shell, Ipswich ware, Thetford, Andennes and Grimston wares, one possible Early Saxon sherd. Neolithic/Bronze Age scrapers.
See detailed list in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 22 October 1985.
1989. Further fieldwalking.
More finds similar to above, plus Roman and undated pottery.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 July 1989
- FINDSPOT (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Roman to Medieval - 43 AD to 1539 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Undated)
- POT (Undated)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Serial: 1962. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1962. No 9. p 2. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Miscellaneous. Burnham Norton. |
Related records - none
Find out more...