Record Details

NHER Number:1741
Type of record:Building
Name:St Clement's Church, Burnham Overy

Summary

St Clement's was originally built in the 12th century. The transepts were added around 1200, as were the nave aisles. The north aisle may have been demolished as early as the 14th century. The 13th century chancel had a south chapel, demolished at the reformation and partly rebuilt in the restoration of 1835 when the area beneath the tower was blocked off and the nave was used as the church. Although the whole building has now been reunited, the nave and chancel are still only linked by a narrow passage through the tower base. Interior features include a St Christopher wall painting, post medieval floor tombs and memorials, a mid 18th century commandments board and an elaborate George III Royal arms. The graveyard contains some interesting memorials.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 84304 42930
Map Sheet:TF84SW
Parish:BURNHAM OVERY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

June 1953. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Parish church. 12th century Saxon-Norman origins represented by axial tower, made cruciform c.1200 with north and south transepts; presumably rebuilt nave with additional north and south aisles, chancel largely rebuilt in 13th century, later 15th century fenestration, 18th century and 1835 restorations. Flint with stone dressings, brick, lead nave and south aisle roofs, tiled tower and chancel."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current details.
Amended by H. Hamilton (HES), 8 November 2019.

Norman central tower. Transepts added around 1200 to make a cruciform church; nave arcades inserted in two styles around the same time. Chancel 13th century with south arcade to chapel. North aisle may have gone by as early as the 14th century to judge by a wallpainting on the blocking, although the windows of this period may be later copies. Tower reduced in height 17th century. South chapel demolished before 1820, partly rebuilt during restoration of 1835. Church contains an interesting selection of 17th-19th century monuments, and there are a number of historically important memorials in the graveyard.
(S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 1978 and 21 October 2006.

This is one of the sixty five Norfolk churches selected for (S3).
D. Gurney (NLA), 17 February 2006.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • Xaxial tower (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF8442N, P.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 231-232.
---Leaflet: Earle, A. & Isaacson, C.J.. 1963. Saint Clement's Church, Burnham Overy..
---Monograph: Hart, S.. 2010. Medieval Church Window Tracery in England. p 8.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Miscellaneous. Burnham Overy.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1239094.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1978. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S3>Publication: Jenkins, S. 2000. England's Thousand Best Churches.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service