|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period finds scatter|
Pottery dating from the Iron Age to the post medieval periods has been found on this site, as well as animal and human bone of unknown date and medieval and post medieval metalwork.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 83 42|
|Parish:||BURNHAM NORTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
During 1953 in trenching for new school 91m west of Carmelite Friary.
Sherds of early medieval pottery.
R. R. Clarke (NCM)
2000. Metal detecting and field observation. Site extended.
Medieval metal finds.
Roman, Middle Saxon, Late Saxon and medieval sherds collected from flower beds of school.
Fragment of human bone.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 10 October 2000.
January 2001. Surface finds by  around edges of school field.
Lead pot mend.
3 clay pipe stems.
1 Iron Age or Early Saxon sherd.
1 Roman or Early Saxon sherd.
1 Roman grey.
5 Thetford ware.
2 Unglazed Grimston.
3 Glazed Red Earthernware.
6 medieval unglazed.
Burnt and unburnt animal bone.
Medieval and post medieval tile.
A. Hutcheson (NLA) 8 January 2001.
Chance find some time before May 2004, location 
A lead pot mend.
See description in file.
E. Darch (NLA), 5 August 2008.
- FINDSPOT (Early Iron Age to 19th Century - 800 BC to 1900 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
- POT (Undated)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT MEND (Roman to 19th Century - 43 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CAULDRON (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CAULDRON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Burnham Norton. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
Related records - none
Find out more...