|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Bagthorpe|
Originally a small medieval church with no chancel, this church was demolished and entirely rebuilt in 1853/4. The rebuilding was done by a local firm in the Early English style. The church consists of a nave and short chancel, with a bellcote at the east end of the nave. Although a Victorian rebuild, the church retains an original Norman font with colonnades.
In the 20th century, population shrinkage led to the church falling into disrepair, and in 1970 it was closed. In 1979 it was declared redundant, leased to the Norfolk Churches Trust, and repaired. It is now in good condition.
In 1754 Tom Martin described it as "slovenly kept". It had only a thatched nave, no steeple (meaning tower) but a bell of 1630; a pulpit of 1640; and "old plain font"; coffin slab; arms of George II, graffitti on pew dated 1664. This was demolished in June 1853, and rebuilt January 1854 by Harper's of Syderstone, architect Donthorne, imitation of Early English style. Retains Norman font with angle colonettes and a cup and paten cover of 1680.
E Rose (NAU) 18 September 1981.
Appropriate section from (S3) in file.
Article - 17 september, missing from file [J Yates, 20 July 2010].
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of Gallow. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VI. pp 1-6. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 190. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 2000. [Photograph of St Mary's Church, Bagthorpe]. 7 January. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. [unknown]. [unknown]. 17 September. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 80. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 1; p 50. |
Related records - none
Find out more...