|Type of record:||Find Spot|
An Iron Age brooch, Roman coins and brooches, Early Saxon brooches, and medieval and post medieval buckles and other metalwork have been found by metal-detecting.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 01 19|
|Parish:||BILLINGFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
For cropmarks previously recorded as part of this site see NHER 51069.
November 1990. Metal detecting.
2 Early Saxon brooches.
See report in file
D. Gurney, (NAU) 3 December 1990.
Summer 1990. Metal detecting.
Medieval copper alloy buckle plate fragment with large hole to take tongue.
Three rivet holes, one with domed rivet.
Decorated with cross shaped motif on 'ribbed' ground (ribbing achieved by punched dots).
A. Rogerson (NAU) 19 October 1990.
January 1991. Metal detecting.
Bow fragment of trumpet brooch, acanthus moulding, 2nd century.
Identified by D. Gurney (NLA)
A. Rogerson (NLA) 31 January 1991.
1991. Metal detecting.
Early Saxon Small long brooch, square headed, facetted bow, splaying foot.
Remains of iron spring/pin.
Catchplate part missing.
Incised decoration on head plate and foot.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 21 June 1991
Generally located finds.
2 Roman coins.
1 post medieval jetton.
See forms in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 27 March 1995.
November 1995. Metal detecting.
2 Roman coins.
Early Saxon brooch.
Medieval coin, buckle strap end.
Post medieval metalwork.
See forms and list in file.
D. Gurney (NLA), 8 December 1995.
December/January 1995/6. Metal detecting.
16th century jetton. See list in file.
Gilded leaf shaped terminal of medieval casket fitting, one rivet.
Oval medieval buckle; frame with thickened outer edge and groove for (missing) pin.
Narrow offset pin bar.
Very short gilded plate with 2 rivet holes and contour line border.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 30 January 1996.
Before 22 April 2002. Metal detecting.
Roman crossbow brooch.
Early Saxon small long brooch.
2 medieval coins.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 26 June 2002.
Before 11 February 2005. Metal detecting.
Iron Age, Roman, medieval and post medieval metal objects.
See descriptions in file.
E. Darch (NLA), 30 August 2005.
- FINDSPOT (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Early Iron Age to Early Saxon - 800 BC to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- BROOCH (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- BEAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- SLEEVE CLASP (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- BOX (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CASKET (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LAMP (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUCKLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HARNESS FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: NLA. Finds Photograph. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Photograph: 1991. LBM 35-36, Early Saxon small long brooch.. |
|---||Photograph: 1991. LBN 1-3, Early Saxon small long brooch.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: FTF 15-16. |
Related records - none
Find out more...