|Type of record:||Building|
This 17th century building stands on the site of the original house of the Oxburgh family which was built around 1500. The building was remodelled in the 18th century and extended in the 19th century. Several outbuildings including a 17th century garden wall with stepped buttresses. Under NHER55893 19th century stables, a 19th century granary and an 18th century coach house also remain.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 4773 0777|
|Parish:||EMNETH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Stands on site of original house of Oxburgh family, built around 1500. Present house about 1700 and Queen Anne. Has ballroom and fine staircase. (S1) shows south front with two rectangular bay windows surmounted by shaped gables, wooden cross windows; recessed bay with door, and window above.
E. Rose (NAU), 10 November 1980.
Manor house of Emneth since 1805. (S2) dates to late 17th century. Remodelled 18th century and extended 19th. Brick; roofs of mixed slate, tile, pantile, and stone flags! T plan. South front two storeys, symmetrical. Central door with full height bay each side (added around 1920). They have Dutch gables. East and west returns with Dutch gables, that to east truncated by straight gable to northern half. Two blocked windows each floor east gable wall. To north, two storey, three bay refacing; central door offset between floors. Five late 18th century sashes. Gables roof with internal gable stacks. West front dominated by two round headed windows to stairs and hall. One 17th century wooden cross window on ground floor. Further two storeyed kitchen range to north, 19th century.
Interior: Open well staircase of around 1700, very ornate with fluted columns for newels. Panelled dado of well. Balustrade on landing (no mention of ballroom). Also listed are 17th century garden wall with stepped buttresses, mid 18th century stables, two storeys five bays with central pedimented projecting bay with oculus, double doors, round windows and doors to each side, four Diocletian windows above, first floor granary, tiebeams and collar. Both Grade II.
Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 31 January 1986.
June 2005. Visit.
Outbuildings alone inspected.
E. Rose (NLA), 10 June 2005.
- GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MANOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. A taste of Christmas past. 14 December. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Reflections on history's grand designs at Oxburgh Hall. 10 April. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 333. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011. Mystery of roamin' stone from the age of the dinosaurs.. 24 August. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. Oxburgh Hall makes £48,000. 7 November. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2005. Outbuildings at Oxburgh Hall. June. |
|2385||Related to: 18th century dovecote (Building)|
|55893||Related to: Stable block at Oxburgh Hall (Building)|
|MNO4362||Related to: Stable block at Oxburgh Hall Meadowgate Lane EMNETH (Revoked)|
Find out more...