Record Details

NHER Number:16308
Type of record:Monument
Name:Undated pit, Neolithic to Bronze Age scraper, flakes and Roman coin

Summary

A Neolithic to Bronze Age pointed scraper was found on the surface of this field. Fieldwalking and metal detecting in advance of the Norwich southern bypass found two Bronze Age flint flakes, a Roman coin and an undated pit with burnt material.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1330 1104
Map Sheet:TG11SW
Parish:EASTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1979 to 1980. Context 2. Found on surface of ploughed field.
Pointed flint scraper of Neolithic or Bronze Age date.
Identified by F. Healy (NAU), 15 July 1980.
A. Gregory 15 July 1980.

February 1987. Fieldwalking in advance of Norwich Southern Bypass. 'Field 9/10'. Context 1.
Two flint flakes.
For full details of finds, including modern items not included in record, weather conditions, etc. see (S1) and (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 23 March 1990.

1991 to 1992. Metal detecting. Watching brief on line of Norwich Southern Bypass. Sites 10 and 11.
Pit with burnt material also Context 2.
Roman coin Context 3 at 1330 1102.
See full details and maps in (S1) and (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), July 1992.

Monument Types

  • PIT (Unknown date)
  • FINDSPOT (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
  • FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
  • FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Associated Finds

  • SCRAPER (TOOL) (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
  • FLAKE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Unpublished Document: Bown, J.. 1992?. Norwich Southern Bypass Watching Brief.
---Map: Bown, J.. 1992?. Norwich Southern Bypass Watching Brief Annotated Maps.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service