|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval deer park|
This medieval deer park was in existence by 1307 around the manor house of the Bigod family (see NHER 11114 and NHER 11676). The boundary is marked on an old map and the field boundaries and hedgerows of Park Farm still follow this line in places.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 305 881|
|Parish:||EARSHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Medieval deer park.
In existence in 1307 around manor house of Bigods (see NHER 11114 and NHER 11676). Boundary marked on (S1), original at Park Farm.
E. Rose (NAU), 1980.
Part of the line is still demarcated by hedgerows and field boundaries and forms the boundary of Park Farm in places.
E. Rose (NAU), 7 July 1980.
(S2) notes how after the deer park was disemparked and divided up into closes, the pale was still maintained.
E. Rose (NLA), 27 September 2007.
- DEER PARK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Copy of Earsham Park Farm Map. |
|<S2>||*Verbal Communication: Liddiard, R.. 2007. Lecture at Parks Conference 2007, Sheffield. |
Related records - none
Find out more...