|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Manor House|
A former farmhouse. Essentially a late 17th century rebuilding of a 16th century house. The house is built of brick with a pantiled roof, and is two storeys high with an attic. It has a single storey range to the west.
The barn adjacent to the Manor House is 17th century with an 18th century roof. It has now been converted to a garage.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3307 0816|
|Parish:||BRUNDALL, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Manor House, 16th-17th century.
26 September 1979. Visit.
Two builds of brick, one apparently 16th century, extended eastwards in chequered brickwork, seemingly 17th century.
Three restored long low windows on upper floor to north, and one on lower floor; traces of other blocked.
Chimneystack on west gable.
(S1) describes building as late 17th century rebuilding of 16th century house.
Three cell building of two storeys and attics with single storey range to west. Main south façade mainly altered in 19th century.
(S1) sees different brickworks as two types of 16th century. Restored windows have hollow mullions.
Single storey 17th century kitchen wing.
17th century landing balustrades on oak stairs. Bridging beams with ogee nicked stops.
Also winding stairs against west stack to attics. Double staggered butt purlin roof.
Adajcent late 17th century barn with late 18th century roof of eleven bays, is now a garage.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 27 November 1984.
The earliest known owner of the Manor Garage, Manor House and the land that St Ninian's stands on is believed to have been Richard Baldwin, who died in 1725. In 1909 the complex was owned by a G.S. Hotback and then later sold that year for £175 to Dr. McKelvie to build St Ninians. In 1967 Mr Harrison bought St Ninians from the owner of Norvic Shoe Company.
See (S2) for futher details.
L. Allison (NLA), 5 August 2010.
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MANOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Brundall Local History Group. 2007. The Book of Brundall and Braydeston. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Brundall Local History Group. 2007. The Book of Brundall and Braydeston. |
Related records - none
Find out more...