|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Thorpe Abbotts Airfield, World War Two airfield and battle headquarters|
Built in 1942 this World War Two airfield was the headquarters of the United States Army Air Force's 100th Bombing Group. It was returned to the RAF in 1946, but was never used again, being sold off in 1956. However, the control tower and adjacent buildings have now been restored and opened as a museum and a memorial to the 'Bloody 100th'. In woodland nearby is a contemporary (and rare) sunken battle headquarters.
Images - none
Thorpe Abbots airfield.
World War Two airfield. Headquarters of United States Army Sir Force 100th Bomb Group.
Control tower under restoration 1978.
See newspaper cuttings in file (S1), (S2), (S3), (S4), (S5) and (S6).
E. Rose (NAU), 30 August 1979.
Constructed 1942 intended as satellite to Horham but completed as full station. Returned by United States Army Air Force to RAF in 1946 but never used by RAF. Sold off 1956.
E. Rose (NAU), 3 August 1983.
Control tower and adjacent buildings now restored as museum. In wood known as The Grove, at TM 1901 8130 directly in line with control tower is a semi underground bunker consisting of two brick rooms, one inside the other, approached by stairs from north; to south is access to a room at higher level with ladder to roof. Sheets of blue plastic beneath concrete roof suggest it may have been remade.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 July 1995.
However, this blue plastic has been noted on other World War Two sites.  notes this as a rare Battle Headquarters, built high so as to avoid water table; retains original fittings.
His survey no. R4-5.
E. Rose (NLA), 10 April 1997.
August 2008. Listed Grade II.
See (S8) for further information.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 12 November 2009.
Proposed replacement of windows and frames of the second floor 'glasshouse' of the control tower.
See (S9) for further details
H. White (NLA), 7 January 2009.
For further information on the operational history of the airfield and photographs of remaining buildings, see (S10).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 January 2010.
- BATTLE HEADQUARTERS (11008/41) (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- BATTLE HEADQUARTERS (World War Two - 1942 AD to 1945 AD)
- CONTROL TOWER (World War Two - 1942 AD to 1945 AD)
- MILITARY AIRFIELD (World War Two - 1942 AD to 1945 AD)
- MUSEUM (Cold War to Modern - 1990 AD? to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. Airfield Return After 40 Years. 5 September. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. [unknown]. 100th BG museum. [unknown]. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Listed Building Consent. |
|---||Website: Simon Purcell. 2011. Battle Headquarters. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1978. New life for an old tower. 7 July. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. Airman views work. 6 June. 2. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1981. Just as it was during the war. 26 May. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. Ex-prisoner of war back at air base, 39 years on. 31 May. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. Nostalgic return by Flying Fortress. 6 June. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. US air memorial unveiled. 5 September. |
|<S7>||Article in Serial: 1973. Airfields of Norfolk and Suffolk. Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum. Part 1. vol 4. |
|<S8>||Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S9>||Unpublished Document: Batley, R. 2008. Design and Access Statement, 100th Bomb Group Memorial Museum Control Tower. |
|<S10>||Monograph: McKenzie, R.. 2004. Ghost Fields of Norfolk. pp 103-105. |
Related records - none
Find out more...