|Type of record:||Building|
This is a late 17th century brick house with an L shape plan. The building has two storeys, a Roman Doric projecting wooden porch and a large chimneystack with quadruple angled chimneys. The long north wing was built in 1910. The house may be on the site of a former manor house built in 1602 by Ralph Homyltoft.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9796 1419|
|Parish:||DEREHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Basically a late 17th century brick house, slightly L shaped with foot to northeast. Two storeys, divided by string course.
Ivy covered but apparently some chequered brickwork.Two small windows on ground floor in angle of 'L' east of the door, which has a Roman Doric projecting wooden porch. One large chimneystack at east end with (rebuilt) quadruple angled chimneys. Another at west with two tall stacks probably of 1913, the date of the long north wing which has reversed the L shape as it were. Very poor condition.
E. Rose (NAU), 5 July 1978.
Former owner says the new wing was built in 1910 and that the original grant was to build a manor house in 1602 to Ralph Homyltoft.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 21 June 1983.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MANOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. [Sale advertisement for Humbletoft]. 19 May. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Dereham and Fakenham Times. 1983. Plan for historic house. 20 June. |
Related records - none
Find out more...