Record Details

NHER Number:13562
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Roman, medieval and post-medieval finds

Summary

Between 1978 and 2014 a scatter of Roman pottery sherds, a coin and five querns, as well as medieval and post-medieval pottery sherds and medieval floor tile fragments, were recovered as stray finds, through fieldwalking and during metal-detecting.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 26 89
Map Sheet:TM28NE
Parish:DENTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1978 and before. On ploughed surface 200m west of castle. Visit. [1].
In large area of dark soil in field of light clayey soil. Roman pottery scatter including Samian ware, and fragments of at least five puddingstone querns.
A. Gregory (NAU), March 1978.

13 July 1984. Found in spoil from mole draining.
Six sherds Roman coarse pottery - six grey body sherds and one oxidised beaker rim.
A. Gregory (NAU), 16 July 1984.

1992. Fieldwalking indicates that site extends to east edge of field and to the southeast over south boundary. [2].
Further Roman and medieval sherds and medieval tile found.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 31 July 1992.

Before November 2014. Metal-detecting. [3].
1 Roman coin and 39 pottery sherds.
Information from PAS import.
A. Beckham (HES), 8 January 2015.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • QUERN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 218 AD to 222 AD)
  • FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service