Record Details

NHER Number:13133
Type of record:Building
Name:Beeston Hall stables and Gothic Cottage

Summary

An old flint wall is recorded as being part of a castle. It is in fact the only remaining wall of the demolished stables of Beeston Hall, which were built in Gothick style probably in the 1780s. The wall has been rebuilt into the side of Gothic Cottage. There is only one reused medieval stone in the buildings.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3405 2100
Map Sheet:TG32SW
Parish:NEATISHEAD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

'In the track which becomes the hall drive, to the left of the post office in Neatishead Street as one approaches from the A1151, is an ancient flint wall said to be part of a castle.'
See (S1).

May 1979. Visit.
This is in fact the stables of Beeston Hall, in Gothick style and presumably of the same date, 1780s. Of squared flint with brick trimmings, it has a central archway, with blank pointed windows each side, beyond these pilasters then pointed doorways. Adjoining on west is Gothic Cottage, two storeys with stepped gable. Only medieval work is a reset head corbel used as keystone of arch.
E. Rose (NAU), 16 May 1979.

Monument Types

  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1780 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Publication: January 1977. Norfolk Fair.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service