Record Details

NHER Number:1292
Type of record:Building
Name:St Edmund's Church, Hunstanton

Summary

A 19th century and later church. It was built between 1865 and 1869 in a medieval style, with a nave, chancel and south aisle. The north aisle may have been added in 1879 and a south porch was constructed around 1914. There are marble pilasters on the west wall and stained glass windows by Kempe (made in 1890) and Comper (made in 1912).

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6745 4107
Map Sheet:TF64SE
Parish:HUNSTANTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

St Edmund's Church, New Hunstanton.
Built 1865 by Preedy, the North aisle being of 1897, according to Pevsner (S1). Stained glass by Kempe 1890 and Comper 1912.
The aisle however does not look newer than the nave and must be part of the original plan.
South aisle, nave and chancel also; no tower, bell in angle of chancel and nave. Gothic revival imitating Early
English. Flint with bands of carstone; marble pilasters on west wall exterior.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU), 1 April 1981.

NGR corrected from original TF 6846 4108.
M. Horlock (NLA), 17 December 2002.

(S2) states built 1865 to 1869, north aisle 1879. South porch flint, addition of about 1914.
For further information see listed description.
D. Robertson (NLA), 20 April 2006.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
---Unpublished Document: Taigel, A. 1998. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume 3.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service