|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Multi-period artefacts and possible medieval to post medieval buildings|
Stray finds and fieldwalking have led to the discovery of multi-period artefacts and possible medieval to post medieval buildings. The locations of buildings are suggested by concentrations of medieval and post medieval building material. The other objects include pieces of Roman, Middle Saxon, Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery, a Middle Saxon bead and oyster shells.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6861 4236|
|Parish:||HUNSTANTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
'Roman' pot written here on NCM 6 inch map (S1).
No further information.
Scatter of oyster shell all over field noted, with further finds:-
Context 1 at TF 6855 4242. Concentration of Ipswich ware, food debris, and shell tempered ware.
Context 2 at TF 6868 4236.Thetford-type sherd.
Context 3 at TF 6855 4225. Two adjacent concentrations of medieval/post medieval pottery and building debris suggesting house sites.
E. Rose (NAU), 1 February 1983.
5 March 1983.
Context 1. Further Ipswich ware and circular bead in clear greenish glass found.
A. Gregory (NAU), 7 March 1983.
For full description and identification of all finds and the areas from which they come, see file.
Includes further Roman sherds.
- HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Undated)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BEAD (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Map: NCM. NCM Record Map. |
Related records - none
Find out more...