Record Details

NHER Number:12865
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Manor House


The Manor House was built around 1700. It has five bays and two storeys. The central ground floor bay is a door with brick pilasters and a curved pediment. There is a small window and string course on the gable well. The roof is constructed of blue pantiles. There are at least two 19th century railway carriages in the garden that are being used as sheds.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2269 2918
Map Sheet:TG22NW

Full description

September 1977. Visited.
Five bays, two storeys. Central ground floor bay is a door with brick pilasters and curved pediment. Small window and string course on gable well. Blue pantiles. About 1700.
E. Rose (NAU), 28 September 1977.

In garden to east, two early railway carriages used as sheds. Mounted on blocks, they are complete except for wheels and should be in good condition. They are bow-bodied resembling birdcage stock and probably 19th century, certainly pre-Grouping.
E. Rose (NAU), 5 October 1981.

The railway carriages were destroyed in October 1998.
Noted in course of demolition on 17th October by E. Rose (NLA) when passing.

No indeed! The carriage(s) has been replaced on their site in a restored condition, but oddly with a panel of vertical slates in the centre (joining the two carriages perhaps?).
Seen only from road 31 August 1999 E. Rose (NLA).

In addition there are at least two other similar carriages in very poor condition at the rear of the house used apparently as chicken sheds; seen only from a great distance.
E. Rose (NLA) 20 October 1999.

Monument Types

  • MANOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • RAILWAY CARRIAGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources - none

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service