Record Details

NHER Number:12400
Type of record:Building
Name:Dickleburgh Hall

Summary

Dickleburgh Hall is of 16th century date and stands on the site of an older building. The present building is of painted brick with two storeys and one attic. The external features suggest it may have been of screen passage plan with a later lobby entrance built by the stack.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 1766 8365
Map Sheet:TM18SE
Parish:DICKLEBURGH AND RUSHALL, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Dickleburgh Hall is of 16th century date and stands on the site of an older building.
Information from (S1).

(S2) states; painted brick, two storeys and attic. Three bays to right of stack, one to left; rebuilt octagonal shafts to stack. Door level with stack, another two bays to right with reset highly carved beam above. See (S3) in file. This pattern may suggest a screen passage plan with later lobby entrance by stack, but no internal details are given on the listing.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 April 1994.

A carved wooden panel bearing a coat of arms remains above the front entrance. The top of the panel is much damaged, but it is now protected by a porch. The bearer of the arms has not yet been identified as they do not correspond to any of those held by known owners of the hall.
See (S4) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 01 May 2008.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1500 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Archive: Bolingbroke Collection.
<S2>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S3>Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. 1994.
<S4>Article in serial: 2007. A Carved Wooden Panel at Dickleburgh.. The Heraldry Gazette. NS 106, December 2007. p 12.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service