Record Details

NHER Number:12230
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Downham Union Workhouse

Summary

This is the site of Downham Union Workhouse, designed by Donthorne and constructed in 1836 to replace an earlier workhouse located elsewhere. Similar in design to Aylsham workhouse (NHER 7416), it was constructed in Elizabethan style with a central gatehouse. Two carstone lodges (NHER 60063 and NHER 60064) and an entrance court were added in the mid-19th century. The workhouse was demolished soemtime in the early 20th century and Howdale Home was built on the site. Howdale House was then demolished in the 1960s and modern old peoples' houses were built on the site. The lodges (NHER 60063 and NHER 60064) and entrance court still remain.

Images

  • Downham Market workhouse. Designed by Donthorne in Elizabethan style the building was completed in 1836  © Norfolk County Council

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6132 0301
Map Sheet:TF60SW
Parish:DOWNHAM MARKET, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

February 1977. Visit.
Site of workhouse. Built 1836 by Donthorne in Elizabethan style, with central gatehouse. This century became the Howdale Home. Demolished 1960s. Modern old peoples' houses over site.
E. Rose (NAU), 16 February 1977.

The workhouse replaced an older building on a different site. Lodges were added before 1887 and these still remain, as does the entrance court now a garden.
See [1] and [2].
E. Rose (NLA), 22 March 1999.

The lodges previously recorded under this number are now recorded under NHER 60063 and NHER 60064.

Monument Types

  • WORKHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.

Related records

60063Parent of: Former Howdale Lodge (north building) (Building)
60064Parent of: Former Howdale Lodge (south building) (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service