|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||East Hall (previously known as Lodge Farm)|
This farmhouse is located inside a medieval moat. The farmhouse is a timber framed building with a raised aisle truss roof of which there are only two known in the county. The brick skin, dated to 1838, disguises the remains of a medieval aisled house. The house would have had high status within the parish and its proximity to another medieval moat (NHER 11060) suggests that this may the site of an early medieval manor that was later replaced by the site at Hall Farm Barns (NHER 11060). Dendrochronology has revealed that the timbers for the hall were felled in 1355 to 1360 fitting well with this interpretation. The building was a raised aisle hall of exceptional high quality with much of the original fabric surving. Excavations here in 1992 revealed medieval and post medieval drainage channels and wells. No features relating to the building of the house were identified.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 289 885|
|Parish:||DENTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
East Hall (previously known as Lodge Farm).
Moat (Lodge Farm).
E. Rose (NAU).
(S1) lists building as Grade II 17th century timber frame, but source  reports 1992 that it is in fact a 13th century aisled hall. Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission grant obtained for emergency recording.
Information from A. Rogerson (NLA).
E. Rose (NLA), 10 July 1992.
July 1992. Visit.
Building is a raised aisled hall (part demolished) reverting to an aisled hall at one end. Mouldings are of a type found elsewhere around 1500 and original building had large bay windows, making date of 1300 debateable. Clearly a very important building either as an early example of mouldings and glazed windows or a late example of an aisled hall. Later windows of about 1600 inserted with stack and upper floor.
See (S2) in file and further discussion of dating.
E. Rose (NLA), 27 July 1992.
Dendrochronology date of late 14th century for some timbers.
August 1992 to February 1993. Watching Brief and Excavation.
Carried out by H. Wallis for a new extention on the existing building which was identified as a raised aisled hall which dated to the 14th century. Also revealed were medieval and post medieval ditches, wells and pottery, however there was no evidence relating to original construction.
See (S4) in file and (S5) for short summary.
E. Rose (NLA), 28 September 1993 amended by M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 28 June 2013.
Southeast arm about 60 metres long, about 8 metres wide. Southwest arm about 50 metres long, about 5-6 metres wide. Northwest arm reed filled. Northeast arm and to north of entrance moats infilled. All extant arms hold water, as does pond northwest of farm buildings. (Site no longer called Lodge Farm, changed to East Hall).
H. Paterson (A&E), 29 June 2000.
- AISLED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DITCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WELL (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1355 AD to 1853 AD)
- BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1993. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1992. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLI Pt IV pp 522-532. p 526. |
|---||Unpublished document: S. Heywood and R. Smith with documentary research by A. Davison. 1992. Report and drawings by S. Heywood (HES), Robert Smith and Alan Davison, East Hall (formerly Lodge Farm), Denton,1992. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Denton. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|---||Photograph: FVL 17-23. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1992. Building Report.. 30 November. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Groves, C. and Hillam, J.. 1992. Tree-ring Analysis of Oak Timbers from Lodge Farm, Denton, Norfolk. |
|<S4>||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|<S4>||Unpublished document: Wallis, H.. 1993. NAU Report No. 18. Report of a Watching Brief and Excavation at Lodge Farm, Denton, 1993.. |
|<S5>||Article in serial: Nenk, B. S., Margeson, S. and Hurley, M. 1993. Medieval Britain and Ireland in 1992. Medieval Archaeology. Vol XXXVII pp 240-313. p274. |
Related records - none
Find out more...