|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Clement's chapel|
A medieval church that was suppressed during the Reformation. The ruins were demolished in 1820.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3301 0805|
|Parish:||BRUNDALL, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Medieval church. Suppressed in 1547. Ruins demolished in 1820.
(R. R. Clarke NCM)
1820. Upper and Lower Chapel Field near Station New Road.
Urn with ashes found in destroying St Clement's chapel.
Date doubtful but possibly Anglo Saxon.
See (S1), (S2). (S3) and (S4).
R.R. Clarke (NCM).
About 1885 human bones were noticed in a sandpit near the site.
OS Records. R.J. Rickett (NAU) 25 June 1990.
Appropriate section from ref (S5) in file.
The chapel was founded by the De Breideston family in the 12th century. The chapel is believed to have been built because of the difficultly of travelling to Braydeston Parish Church. The site believed to have been in use for centuries before the building of St Clement's Chapel. The chapel was completely demolished in 1820.
See (S6) for further details.
L. Allison (NLA), 4 August 2010.
The 1885 finds referred to above were probably made by Fred Johnson, former County Archivist and member of the Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society (S7).
D. Gurney (HES), 31 October 2012.
- CREMATION (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Brundall. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Brundall. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Johnson, F. 1926. The Chapel of St. Clement at Brundall, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXII pp 194-206. p 195. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: Clarke, R. R. 1940. Norfolk in the Dark Ages, 400-800 A.D., Part II. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXVII Pt II pp 215-249. p 236. |
|<S3>||Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk. p 185. |
|<S4>||Serial: 1864. The East Anglian or Notes and queries on subjects connected with the counties of Suffolk, Cambridge, Essex and Norfolk. The East Anglian. Vol I. p 134. |
|<S5>||Publication: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology, 51. Microfiche 5:G12. |
|<S6>||Monograph: Brundall Local History Group. 2007. The Book of Brundall and Braydeston. p 16. |
|<S7>||Verbal communication: Ann-Marie Simpson. 2012. |
Related records - none
Find out more...