|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Rainthorpe Church, Church Wood, Newton Flotman|
Church Wood contains the site of Rainthorpe Church. Mortared flints from the church were recorded in the 19th century and a pile of flints and a possible house platform identified in 1978. Courses of late 17th to mid 19th century brick were revealed in 2001 when a ditch was scoured. These may be the foundation of an agricultural building or pump house. Roman tiles and pieces of Middle Saxon, medieval and post medieval pot have been found here.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 205 974|
|Parish:||NEWTON FLOTMAN, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Church site: Roman tiles; Middle Saxon, medieval, post medieval sherds.
Wood is supposed to be site of Rainthorpe church; mortared flints recorded in 19th century.
Wood cleared and replanted; Roman roof tiles found by  and identified by R.R. Clarke (NCM).
Tiles seen again by Ordnance Survey inspectors 1972 at hall, confirmed as Roman (were they built into the church?).
Three medieval sherds, one sherd Westerwald, one sherd Ipswich Ware found by .
NCM 328.979 (surface finds in wood).
 however stated that the wood contains a huge pile of flints, which she takes to be the church, and next to this a house platform which she suggested as the site of a manor predating the hall. The Roman tiles she stated were found at the other (river) end of the wood, in digging a fox burrow, and thus she believes cannot be connected with the church.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 March 1983.
Almost impossible to identify earthworks. To west, land drops down by over 1m. This especially marked in southwest corner, where much flint observed, some possibly 'in situ' remains of some structure? 'Bank' traced alongside barn to north and towards Hall to southwest. Metal work found by metal detector taken to Castle Museum one year ago.
H. Paterson (A&E), 30 November 2000.
No evidence of any earthworks, or platform as recorded in 1979. Scouring of ditch at river end of wood revealed courses of brickwork some 7 to 9m in length 1.5m high, top courses laid sideways sloping backwards, lower courses 0.25m laid on a sand base. Bricks dated to late 17th to mid 19th century. Possible agricultural building/pumping house remains.
H. Paterson (A&E), 13 November 2001.
See file for (S1) showing house platform, scatter of flints, Middle Saxon and medieval pottery find spot, and earlier Roman tile find spot annotated by W. Milligan (NCM).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 30 November 2002.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE PLATFORM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- AGRICULTURAL BUILDING? (Post Medieval - 1675 AD? to 1850 AD?)
- PUMP HOUSE? (Post Medieval - 1675 AD? to 1850 AD?)
- ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Newton Flotman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Addington, S.. 1979. Sketch Plan. |
Related records - none
Find out more...