|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible Iron Age hillfort and Roman coins|
An aerial photograph taken in 1946 shows a bank and ditch surrounding the oddly-shaped field here. The land here slopes down to marshland and the bank is fairly low, however it is possible that these features are the remains of an Iron Age hillfort similar to the Tasburgh Fort (NHER 2258). Metal detecting here during 1998-99 recovered 85 Roman coins. The area is now used for animal grazing and is protected by a management agreement.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 19 96|
|Parish:||THARSTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
'Bank and ditch on aerial photograph' recorded by R. R. Clarke (NCM) around south edge of this suspiciously-shaped field, (i.e. like a twin of Tasburgh Fort) which is avoided by the road to the ford.
Visited by A. K. Gregory (NAU) 1978.
West side of field gone, all other sides hedges with farm tracks on inside. On north, northeast and south land slopes evenly down to marshes, slope broken by hedge and track - ?remains of levelled bank? On southeast side vertical drop of 2m to marsh. Track on Ordnance Survey on north side now disused, survives as low bank about 50cm high and 3m wide, along edge of marsh. Aerial photograph refered to by R. R. Clarke (NCM) may be RAF 1946 Aerial Photograph 4188 which shows pale line continuing track from Hapton Hall, swinging round parallel with east and south sides and continuing into next field west - only a tractor track? but peculiar shape of field indicates possibility of earthwork formerly here should not be dismissed.
A. Gregory (NAU).
1998 Metal Detecting.
Forty-nine Romano-British coins. See lots in file.
K. Sussam (NCM) 24 Feb 1998.
Before 21 April 1999. Metal detecting.
Thirty-six Roman coins. See list in file.
See plan of previously found (up to January 1998) coins in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 29 April 2000.
For a discussion of linked burghs on each sides of rivers which is interesting in view of this location see (S1).
Most of area grazed by horses/donkeys, with extensive paddocks separated by post and rail fencing. Low bank noted in 1978 now under trees and scrub. Low bank on edge of field to the south with many stones visible is probably the result of agricultural practice prior to the horse sanctuary being developed. A line of very old trees along south side.
H. Paterson (A&E) 27 August 2003.
Management statement signed 22 September 2003.
Copy in office file.
H. Paterson (A&E) 24 September 2003.
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- TRACKWAY (Unknown date)
- HILLFORT? (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: RAF. RAF AP4188. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Spoerry, P.. 2000. Topography of Anglo Saxon Huntingdon.. Cambs Antiq Soc Proc. Vol LXXXIX. pp 35-47. |
Related records - none
Find out more...