|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Blackford Hall, Stoke Holy Cross|
Blackford Hall was called Blackworth in the 14th century, when a licence to crenellate was granted. In the 17th century the site, which is moated, was owned by the D'Oyley family. Although the current house is an 18th century house of two storeys, the part of interest is the east-to-west building, which is thought to be a chapel surviving from a medieval mansion on this site.
The chapel is thought to date to around 1300 and the east window has intersected tracery. It was converted to a house in the 16th century and partially rebuilt in 1703, and in the south side is a reset Normal roll-moulded arch with zigzag decoration. To the south is a large timber-framed barn with arch-braced tie beams dating to the 17th century or earlier. In the central courtyard a 16th century gold reliquary ring, apparently property of Edmund Billingford who died 1558, was recovered.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2514 0172|
|Parish:||STOKE HOLY CROSS, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Called Blackworth in 14th century.
Owned by D'oyley family in 17th century.
Visited by E. Rose, 26 October 1977.
Oldest part is east to west detached wing, which (S1) suggests was originally the chapel.
East window intersected tracery around 1300. In north wall two round-headed lancets, blocked, one with cusped tracery inserted and shortened before blocking. Rest of this wing is of 17th century brick, including projecting ?oven base to south. Modern porch contains Norman fragments found in demolishing old kitchen east of main house; archway, two corbels and carved fragment. In north wall of 'chapel' metal clapiron inscribed 1703 (not 1763 as on Ordnance Survey card (S1)). Writer in Bolingbroke Collection NCM suggests it may have been inserted when an upper floor was added, but I don’t believe this. Walls are said to be 3ft (1m) thick. Old roof tiles blown off in last war. Main house appears early 18th century but lower parts are of reused stone blocks and 17th century bricks. To south large timber-framed barn with arch-braced tie beams 17th century or earlier: two pairs of cart doors. Now clad in corrugated iron. All inside moat. Owner says foundations are found all over central island.
Before 1932. Found in laying pipes across central courtyard.
16th century gold reliquary ring, apparently property of Edmund Billingford died 1558.
For comparison see (S2).
Was in NCM but stolen. 
Information from NCM register - no NCM card.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 14 March 1980.
Licence to crenellate was granted to John de Norwich in 1343.
Copy of licence to crenellate in file.
Information from Dr C. L. H. Coulson.
Ony two waterfilled arms of this homestead moat remain. Maximum length of 70.0m, with a width of 13.0m and attain a
maximum depth of 1.5m.
Ordnance Survey Records (S1).
R. J. Rickett (NLA), 5 July 1990.
Listed building description (S3) 1985, which lists chapel and house separately, follows above analysis but also notes 16th century door opposite porch which it suggests means chapel was converted to a cross-passage house (rather like Ashwell chapel).
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 21 April 1998.
Two water filled arms of moat still remain to south depression in lawn shows clearly. Owner's father remembers this as waterfilled ditch. Parts of wet mat slubbed out several years ago.
Compiled by H. Paterson (NLA), 3 December 1999.
December 2009. Norfolk NMP.
The earthworks of boundary ditches and drainage channels associated with this medieval moated site visible on aerial photographs have been recorded under NHER 53300.
S. Horlock (NMP), 21 December 2009.
- GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- MOAT (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD? to 2050 AD)
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1300 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- BARN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD? to 2050 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD? to 2050 AD)
- FINGER RING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- RELIQUARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG2501 D-F. |
|---||Serial: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B.. 1989. The Buildings of England. Norfolk 2: North-West and South.. |
|---||(No record type): Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Stoke Holy Cross. |
|<S1>||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: Campling, A. 1923. Thomas Blundeville, of Newton Flotman, Co. Norfolk (1522-1606). Author and Poet tempo Elizabeth. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXI pp 337-360. p 339. |
|<S3>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|53300||Related to: Earthworks of boundary ditches and drainage channels associated with Blackford Hall (Monument)|
Find out more...