Record Details

NHER Number:9765
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Kenningham Church

Summary

This is the site of the medieval church of Kenningham, which was united with the church in Mulbarton in 1452, and demolished before the Reformation. Slight earthworks remain on the site, but no medieval building material has been found.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2037 0001
Map Sheet:TG20SW
Parish:MULBARTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of church. Demolished 'long before the Reformation' according to Ordnance Survey. A slight platform remains in a wood with a small pit to northeast, but no trace of building material or other finds where moles or plants have pushed earth through leaf mould.
Farm Manager at Ketteringham Hall says he has often dug about in the wood but found nothing.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU), 15 March 1979.

United with Mulbarton in 1452.
See (S1).
R.J. Rickett (NAU) 30 August 1990.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 29 NW 1 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Miscellaneous. Mulbarton.
<S1>Archive: National Archaeological Record.

Related records

10106Part of: Kenningham deserted medieval village (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service