|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Kenningham deserted medieval village|
This is the site of the medieval village of Kenningham, which was deserted and abandoned over the course of the medieval and early post medieval periods. The parish was united with Mulbarton in 1452, when there were only a handful of houses left in the village. The earthworks of probable medieval house platforms and other features are visible on the ground and on aerial photographs. Fragments of a medieval stone mortar have been found on the site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 205 998|
|Parish:||MULBARTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Banks and ditches noted on air photograph by Norwich Aero Club.
Seen on ground by R.R. Clarke (NCM).
At TM 2040 9980, in spoil from pylon hole, stone mortar fragments found by W.F. Milligan (NCM).
(S2) (undated) states earthworks suggest fields rather than house sites.
Parish was united with Mulbarton 1452.
4 September 1980.
In pasture east and south of pond, earthworks resembling house platforms, plus several drainage features and pits.
West of pond, cropmarks visible from ground in green crop.
E. Rose (NAU).
2 August 1977.
NAU air photographs taken are different from those drawn on (S3) by R.R. Clarke and fuller, including a clear street pattern.
E. Rose (NAU) 15 October 1981.
Mentioned in Domesday.
1452 only two or three houses in the old parish, when it was united with Mulbarton.
Information from (S4).
R.J. Rickett (NAU) 30 August 1990.
Appropriate section from (S5) in file.
October 2000. Visit.
Slight holloway noted running southwest from central mature tree. Other linear and possible enclosure features. None above 0.75mm height. Grazed by sheep.
H. Paterson (A&E), 2 February 2001.
March 2009. Norfolk NMP.
Earthworks, soilmarks and cropmarks relating to the former medieval settlement at Kenningham were visible on aerial photographs, for example (S6-S8). These features were not included within the area mapped as they largely fell outside of the map sheet TG20SW and the current Norwich and environs project area. The area of the site was however extended to the north to include the area of features noted.
S. Horlock (NMP), 24 March 2009.
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DRAINAGE DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE PLATFORM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MORTAR (VESSEL) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM 2099 C-F,K,L,M. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Mulbarton. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S2>||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 29 NW 1 . |
|<S3>||Map: NCM. NCM Record Map. |
|<S4>||Archive: National Archaeological Record. |
|<S5>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 184; p54. |
|<S5>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1962. RAF 543/1883 (F22) 0108-9 27-SEP-1962 (NHER 2000A). |
|<S6>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1972. OS/72034 051-2 22-MAR-1972 (NMR). |
|<S7>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1992. OS/92336 040-1 11-JUN-1992 (NMR). |
|<S8>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1995. OS/95513 004 09-APR-1995 (NMR). |
|9765||Parent of: Site of Kenningham Church (Monument)|
Find out more...