Record Details

NHER Number:9696
Type of record:Building
Name:Whitlingham Hospital (Crown Point Hall)


Whitlingham Hospital was built in 1865 as Crown Point Hall to the designs of H. E. Coe, for Sir Robert John Harvey. The site was acquired in 1872 by the Colman family, following Sir Harvey's suicide, and the buildings enlarged and extended in 1902 to 1905 by Edward Boardman. The main house is of red brick with ashlar dressings, hipped plain tile roofs and prominent multiple ridge stacks, built in a Renaissance Revival style. The very fine iron conservatory was restored in the late 20th century, and the building contains a number of pieces of reset medieval stonework, as well as 16th centuy terracotta plaques from Arminghall Hall.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2552 0692
Map Sheet:TG20NE

Full description

On site of 1784, present building mid 19th century (1865?) enlarged 1902-5. Very fine iron conservatory. Reset medieval stonework and doorway, 16th century terracotta plaques, ?Roman or Romanesque, foreign sculpture.
Includes early squash court and original garden layout.
See report in file (S1).
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 17 June 1986.

October 1985. Listed, Grade II*.
Listing Description:
Country house, now hospital, with attached conservatory , service wing and billiard room. House around 1865, by H. E. Coe of Cambridge for Sir Robert Harvey. Acquired 1872 by Colman, following Harvey's suicide. Service wing, billiard room and alterations 1902-05, by Edward Boardman. Conservatory restored late 20th century. House, red brick with ashlar dressings and gabled and hipped plain tile roofs with coped gables and finials, and prominent multiple ridge stacks. Renaissance Revival style. Two storeys plus attics; five window range. Windows are mainly leaded cross-casements with stone mullions and transoms. Entrance front, to north, has a recessed centre wit? small gable, side bays with parapets, and larger end bays with gables. Regular fenestration. Large central porch dated 1905, with round arched double doors and fanlight, and flat roof behind balustrade. Right gabled wing has a square bay window, two storeys, with cross-mullioned windows and balustrade. To right, a set back range, two windows, with 20th century lift tower. Right return has two canted bay windows, two storeys, with balustrades. Above them, gables with three-light windows. Garden front, seven windows, has a recessed centre with a large gable, and projecting end bays each with a large and a small gable. The larger outer gables have canted bay windows, two storeys, and four-light windows above. Central Tuscan portico, three bays, with balustrade, and openings mainly glazed. Conservatory, cast iron and wrought iron on brick plinth, ten bays, has an apsidal end and flanking aisles, that to north full length, that to south five bays. Central double doors with elaborate scrolled grifle in front of the glass, and semicircular steps. Main uprights have volute capitals supporting a scrolled frieze and dentillated cornice. Below the cornice, opening oval lights. Above it, rectangular lights. Steep pitched roof with clerestory with oval lights. Service wing, Tudor Revival style, has brick ground floor and sham timber framing with roughcast nogging above. Plain tile roofs with similar stacks to the house. Two storeys plus attics. Billiard room, to west, Arts and Crafts style, red brick with timber framed gable and brick nogging. Plain tile roof. Interiors: house has a central hallway with a screen with central rusticated round arch and double columns, flanked by sidelights. Open well wooden stair with square-turned balustrade, coved ceiling with swags and foliage border. Ground floor room on garden front with elliptical arched plaster vault with strapwork, and Renaissance Revival chimneypiece. Matching bookcases in recess. Ground floor room to north has considerable strapwork ornament. Conservatory interior has semicircular T-section trusses on brackets. Quatrefoil columns to aisles, with volute capitals and traceried spandrels. Stone floor with geometrical patterns. Opposite the apse, a round arched fountain, ashlar with mosaic panel, foliage. spandrels, and mask spout. Above it a round arched arcaded window, three lights, and above again, an ashlar balcony on brackets, with an elaborate wrought iron railing. Billiard room has terracotta plaques, 16th century, from Arminghall Hall, Norfolk, a 15th century stone doorcase with four-centred arch and relief panel and moulded door, and re-used linenfold panelling.
Information from (S2).

1993. Desk Based Assessment.
Historic appaisal of the grounds of Whitlingham Hospital.
See report (S4) for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 5 March 2015.

Monument Types

  • STATUE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CONSERVATORY (19th Century to 21st Century - 1865 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • GARDEN (19th Century to 21st Century - 1865 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1865 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • SPORTS SITE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1865 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • SQUASH COURT (19th Century to 21st Century - 1865 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • STABLE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1865 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG2506 C-G,H-K,M-N,U-Z,AA-AC.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1998. TG2506/AJ - AL.
---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Designation: Listed Building Consent.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 699.
---Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
---Article in Serial: Lindley, P. G. 1987. The 'Arminghall Arch' and Contemporary Sculpture in Norwich. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XL Pt I pp 19-43.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 181.
---Photograph: Photograph of conservatory at whitlingham Hopsital, Whitlingham, Trowse with Newton. Colour.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
---Photograph: CVX 1-7, 8, 15-18.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Hospital features get some protection. 15 November.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986-1988. [Articles on the fund raising for the restoration of the conservatory at Whitlingham Hospital].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988-1989. [Articles on the restoration of the conservatory at Whitlingham Hospital].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. [Articles on the proposed closure of Whitlingham Hospital].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1990. Gardens at hospital to be restored. 26 October.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. [Photograph of the conservatory at Whitlingham Hospital being restored]. 23 August.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. Hospital conservatory was built by historic foundry. 1 December.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Who took the plunge down these chutes?. 4 March.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. [Articles on the closure of Whitlingham Hospital].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996-1998. [Article and sale advertisements for Whitlingham Hospital].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2003. [Sale advertisement for a property a the redeveloped Whitlingham Hospital]. 21 November.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Indulge in the mini mansion lifestyle. 13 January.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF9705.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1986. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373212.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Arnolds Chartered Surveyors. 2008. Design and Access Statement, Whitlingham Hall, Kirby Road, Trowse.
<S4>Unpublished Contractor Report: Historic Gardens Consultancy. 1993. Historic Appraisal of the Grounds of Whitlingham Hospital. Historic Gardens Consultancy.

Related records

37582Parent of: Crown Point Park (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service