|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Crown Point Park|
Crown Point Park was established some time after 1784, and extended south and west after the diversion of the local roads in 1806. The gardens were laid out by William Broderick in 1861, and enlarged later to the south and north. After Robert Harvey's suicide in 1870, the estate was purchased by the Colmans and renovated, partly in 1902 by Edward Boardman. The Norwich Southern Bypass now bisects the park, and a ski slope has been constructed in the northwest corner. Despite this the basic planting now survives, as well as pleasure grounds with a rockery, and a concrete pond with fountain intended as fire reservoir.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 25688 07018|
|Parish:||TROWSE WITH NEWTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
English Heritage Historic Parkland grade II.
Park established after 1784 and extended south and west after road diversions in 1806. Dean and Chapter Land including Newton Hall (NHER 9657) leased as part of park. Present hall constructed 1861 (NHER 9696) when William Broderick laid out gardens. Park enlarged to south, avenue to north planted. After Robert Harvey's suicide in 1870 the estate was purchased by the Colmans and renovated, partly in 1902 by Edward Boardman.
Norwich Southern Bypass now bisects the park, and a ski slope has been constructed in the northwest corner. Despite this basic planting now survives; also pleasure grounds with rockery, and concrete pond with fountain intended as fire reservoir.
20th century kitchen garden.
For full details see Register of Historic Parks.
E. Rose (NLA), 16 December 2002.
- LANDSCAPE PARK (18th Century to 21st Century - 1784 AD? to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Registered Park or Garden
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England.. |
|9696||Part of: Whitlingham Hospital (Crown Point Hall) (Building)|
Find out more...