|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of All Saints' Church, Cantelose/Cantley|
This is the site of the medieval parish church of Cantley. The living of Cantley was united with Hethersett in the late 14th century, and the church served as a chapel until the Reformation.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1814 0455|
|Parish:||HETHERSETT, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of All Saint's Church, Cantelose's Manor (or Cantley).
United with Hethersett in 1397 because nobody would accept the living. Served as free chapel until demolished at Reformation, see (S1) in file.
Site visited by E. Rose (NAU) 8 November 1978.
In bumpy field: mounds could be house platforms but probably just bumps.
Site of antiquity symbol seems to be a larger and wider bump than others, but this could be fortuitous.
E. Rose (NAU)
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||(No record type): Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Hethersett. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Publication: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology, 51. Microfiche 5:G12. |
|9469||Related to: Deserted medieval village of Cantley (Monument)|
Find out more...