Record Details

NHER Number:8905
Type of record:Monument
Name:Possible Bronze Age barrow and Roman coin hoard

Summary

A earthwork mound, identified by Bryant as a Bronze Age barrow, was levelled in 1816. In 1847 a hoard of Roman coins was discovered during drainage works. The exact site of the mound is unknown.

Images - none

Location

Parish:MORLEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1816.
Mound levelled at enclosure.
Extended some distance until cut by turnpike.

1847.
In digging an under-drain, hoard of coins mostly of Constantine I, with some of Licinius, found in bad condition, about 1 foot down, once perhaps in a wooden box.
NCM has small brass from this hoard, in fact there are 5 in NCM see file.
(S1) by R.R. Clarke (NCM).

Referred to by (S2) as a tumulus (probably to misreading of reference).
Site unknown, the 'turnpike' may mean the present A11, which was a turnpike, but this was in Morley St Peter parish, unless the boundary changed soon after 1847. There may have been another turnpike further north along the east to west lane across the north of the parish, but this seems unlikely. Or the term may have been used loosely to mean only a new-made road.
E. Rose (NLA), 6 September 1982.

Monument Types

  • MOUND (Unknown date)
  • ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)

Associated Finds

  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • COIN HOARD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Morley [2].
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S2>Monograph: Bryant, J.. 1900. Norfolk Churches..
<S3>Article in Serial: 1849. Appendix. Extracts from the Proceedings of the Committee. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol II pp 397-408. p 397.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service