|Type of record:||Monument|
Bayfield Hall was a large timber framed building, noted by the Ordnance Survey as an antiquity and apparently associated with a moat or earthworks. It is reported that the building was subdivided into cottages for some time, but that it was irrevocably damaged by a fire in the 1970s.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0597 0562|
|Parish:||RUNHALL, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Ordnance Survey antiquity.
Demolished according to Ordnance Survey card (S1), around the 1970s.
Farmer at Manor Farm stated that this was a large timber framed building which had been divided into cottages. Burnt down some time around 1970. 
E. Rose (NAU), Novemember 1980.
Source (S2) refer to Coston Church as standing 'near the ruins of some large building - query what has been?' Was this the building? Or perhaps Manor Farm (see NHER 16725?). No, the reference is to the archdeacon's palace, NHER 21233.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 November 1980.
Map of 1883 (S3) has 'Bayfield Hall, remains of' and 'moat' in Gothic text.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 November 2005.
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Runhall. |
|<S1>||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 00 NE 3. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Martin, T.. c. 1730. Church Notes.. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Martin, T.. c. 1730. Church Notes.. |
|<S3>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. First edition six inch map. |
Related records - none
Find out more...