|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Andrew's Church, Holme|
St Andrew's Church was the parish church of the village of Holme. The church was consolidated to that at Hale (NHER 4643) shortly after 1352. The structure was still standing in 1435 and there was a Rector there until 1470 but there are now no remains visible on the site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9107 0706|
|Parish:||HOLME HALE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Site of church of village of Holme consolidated to Hale soon after 1352
Still standing 1435.
R.R. Clarke (NCM).
Appropriate section from (S2) in file.
For fieldwalking results from the site see under NHER 33817.
1998. Norfolk Earthworks Survey.
Use of RAF air photographs helped identify several enclosures, including tofts, that had since been ploughed away.
This work is noted in (S3).
D. Holburn (HES), 5 December 2011.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 90 NW 10. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Holme Hale. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Serial: Blomefield, F. 1807. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol VI. p 2. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 180; p 54. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1999. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1998. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 369-387. p 378. |
|33817||Parent of: Site of deserted medieval village of Holme (Monument)|
Find out more...