Record Details

NHER Number:8176
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval hydraulic ram

Summary

A hydraulic ram, dating from 1860 that pumped water to Rackheath Hall. The ram still exists (although disused) and is housed in a shed, with an inlet pipe from The Springs (a lake).

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2685 1419
Map Sheet:TG21SE
Parish:BEESTON ST ANDREW, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Hydraulic Ram (marked on Ordnance Survey maps).
Disused, but remains in good condition in shed, with inlet from the Springs (lake). Said to have pumped water to
Rackheath Hall.
Information from C. Harmer (NCM).
E. Rose (NAU), 14 May 1981.

(S1) Rackheath Springs is described as a sheet of water created by impounding the water flowing from 7 springs - the head waters of Dobb's Beck. 'The dam was originally made about 1860 by the late Sir Henry Stracey for operating a hydraulic ram which drives the water through to Rackheath Hall'.
A. Yardy (HES), 17 February 2016.

Monument Types

  • HYDRAULIC RAM (19th Century to 21st Century - 1860 AD to 2100 AD)
  • PUMPING STATION (19th Century to 21st Century - 1860 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Article in Serial: Clarke, W. G.. 1924. Norfolk Lakes and Meres. Transactions of the Norfolk and Norwich Naturalists Society. 11/287.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service