|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible site of St Andrew's church, Beeston St Andrew|
This has been recorded as the location of St Andrew's church, which was in ruins by the mid 16th century, the surrounding village having been deserted. More recent evidence, however, suggests that the site probably lies further to the southwest, where a cropmark enclosure has been recorded (NHER 18125). Ploughing in the 1940s reportedly revealed glazed floor tiles and skeletons. Metal detecting in 1999 recovered a Late Saxon bridle cheek piece and a medieval cauldron leg.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2523 1479|
|Parish:||BEESTON ST ANDREW, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
THE CROPMARKS DESCRIBED BELOW ARE NOW RECORDED AS PART OF NHER 18125.
Approximate site of St Andrew's Church, in ruins by the mid 16th century.
Around 1900 the site was said to be marked by a thorn bush (S1). Also shown on Faden's map of 1797 (S2).
Rubble foundations ploughed up, glazed flooring tiles and skeletons found about 38cm (15 inches) deep.
Reported to R. R. Clarke (NAU) by farmer in February 1948.
20 July 1977. Visit.
The bush has gone, and there were no traces in field between rows of beet, except a slight rise in the ground, perhaps natural.
E. Rose (NAU).
Site located by D. Edwards (NAU) from the air, 1980.
A right-angled ditch cropmark, as if a corner of a removed foundation, seen at this location.
E. Rose (NAU), 3 June 1982.
However farmer indicated to  and A. Rogerson (NAU) in 1983 that he found the foundations etcetera on site NHER 18125 - but he was remembering over thirty years back.
See discussion for NHER 18125.
E. Rose (NAU).
Appropriate section from Batcock 1990 (S3) and associated notes in file.
Metal detecing November/ December 1999.
Medieval cauldron leg. Late medieval strap end.
See list in file.
K. Hinds (NLA), 25 February 2000.
December 1999/January 2000. Metal detecting.
Late Saxon bridle cheek-piece.
See description in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 21 February 2001.
January 2008. Norfolk NMP.
The cropmarks described above are now recorded as part of NHER 18125. The latter includes the cropmarks of an enclosure, which almost certainly equates to the church site. See NHER 18125 for further discussion.
S. Tremlett (NMP), 25 January 2008.
(S4) refers to the induction of the new rector of Beeston St Andrew in 1910. This apparently took place on a tiny piece of church owned glebe land. The article refers to' walking six yards into the field, passing the flint ruins of the former church'.
A. Yardy (HES), 10 February 2011.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CAULDRON (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.. 1980. TG2514C-N. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 21 SE 1. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Article in Serial: Davison, A. and Rogerson, A. 2007. Investigations at Godwick and Beeston St. Andrew. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLV Pt II pp 141-154. |
|---||Photograph: 1999. KSS 22, Cheek peice.. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Beeston St Andrew. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of Taverham. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XV. pp 11-16. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 140; p 53. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. 100 Years Ago. 1 November. |
|18125||Related to: Site of probable medieval to post medieval enclosure, perhaps the site of Beeston St Andrew church (Monument)|
Find out more...