|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval manor house|
This medieval manor house was owned by King's College, Cambridge since 1462 and decayed before 1586. It was located at 'Old House Close'. This area has been forested since 1847.
Images - none
Site of medieval manor house. Property of King's College, Cambridge since 1462 and decayed before 1586; at Hall close 'at junction of Heggat Street and the road from Belaugh Heath'.
Information from (S1).
Farm manager at Heggat Hall has never heard of Hall Close, and states that Heggat Street and Belaugh Heath Road are two names for the same track. However he assumes that the field at grid reference is meant. No trace of anything visible here.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 May 1983.
GRID REFERENCE CORRECTED from (S2) which names plot at new reference as 'Old House Close' (not Hall Close) - plot is indeed at junction of Heggat Street with small lane to what is now Horstead Heath, but which was
apparently known also as Belaugh Heath. Plot has been afforested since 1847. But significance of name is dubious - for example, all the meadows along the river are marked as 'Hall Meadow no.1', 'no.2' etc, presumably because the hall owned them.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 June 1983.
- HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||(No record type): Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Horstead with Stanninghall. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. p 186. |
|<S2>||Map: Newton and Woodrow. 1841. Horstead with Stanninghall Tithe Map. No scale. |
Related records - none
Find out more...