|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Icehouse, The Street|
An early 19th century red brick icehouse that once served the Manor House. The house was demolished after World War One, and the icehouse now stands close to a row of modern shops. Collapsed in December 2010 due to frost damage.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1962 9245|
|Parish:||LONG STRATTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
5 February 1976. Visited by E. Rose (NAU.
Brick, almost spherical interior, set in modern podium of brick and cement and approached by modern staircase. Door on east. Interior full of rubbish. Served Manor House (Georgian) that was demolished after World War One; fits a date of about 1800.
E. Rose (NAU).
The tunnel was removed when building was dug out in 1970s. The ice came from the railway at Forncett.
E. Rose (NAU).
Hole 2.4m (8ft) across found to have been knocked in dome.
Compulsory repairs ordered by council.
Information from (S1)
E. Rose (NAU) 12 July 1985.
(S1) and (S2) in file.
Dome collapsed on 31st December 2010. Police investigation ruled out vandalism and put it down to the harsh frost during the night.
W. Arnold (HES), 01 Febuary 2011
- ICEHOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1800 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011. Village's Ice House could be rebuilt. 17 March. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011. Historic ice house will not be rebuilt. 6 October. |
|---||Photograph: 1992. Photographs of Ice House, The Street, Ipswich Road, Long Stratton. Black & white. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Campaigner's bid to restore Ice House. 24 May. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Landmark off list. 23 June. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1985. Repairs ordered. 11 July. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. West Ender Buys an Ice house. 18 July. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011. Dismay as landmark is felled by the frost. 1 January. |
|MNO9942||Related to: Icehouse of former Manor house The Street (west side) LONG STRATTON (Revoked)|
Find out more...