Record Details

NHER Number:7649
Type of record:Building
Name:Mayton Hall

Summary

This house stands on the site of an earlier medieval moated manor and parts of the moat still remains. The earliest parts of the structure date to the 15th century. This 15th century timber framed building was extended to the north in the late 16th century, further alterations were made in the 18th century, and a new façade was built in the 19th century. It was severely damaged by fire in 1984.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2483 2163
Map Sheet:TG22SW
Parish:HORSTEAD WITH STANNINGHALL, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Mayton Hall (15th century and later) in moated site.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 2 May 1984.

The deserted medieval village of Maideston is now recorded as NHER 44205.
M. Dennis (NLA), 24 March 2006.

The earliest bits of the structure date to the 15th century. This 15th century timber framed building was extended to the north in the late 16th century, further alterations were made in the 18th century and a new façade was built in the 19th century. It was severely damaged by fire in 1984.
See (S1) and (S2).
M. Dennis (NLA), 24 March 2006.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). TG 2421A-C.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 22 SW 10 [3].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 610.
---Photograph: Rose, E.. 1984. CLZ 15 to 18 Mayton Hall. Fire Damage..
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Horstead with Stanninghall.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: CPN 2 Meyton Hall. Print from 19th century postcard.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1984. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. Thatched cottages badly damaged as roofs blaze. 1 May.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service