|Type of record:||Find Spot|
In 1929 a Roman coin was recovered from this site and metal-detecting between 1994 and 2013 recovered a post-medieval pottery sherd; Roman and medieval coins and Bronze Age, Roman, Early Saxon and medieval to post-medieval metal objects. The metal finds include a Bronze Age knife or sickle; a Roman enamelled mount and a vessel escutcheon or mount; a number of Early Saxon brooches; a medieval colander fragment and harness pendant and a medieval/post-medieval lead weight.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 14 20|
|Parish:||SWANNINGTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Coin of Allectus found by warrener (see Notes).
Figured in (S1), see also (S2) and (S3).
Details in file.
Compiled by E. B. Green (NCM).
February/March 1994. Metal detector finds. Found on or very close to site of previous find of coin. (incorrect - see correction in file).
Part of blade of Late Bronze Age knife/sickle (urn field influence according to British Museum (PRBA).
Compiled by A. Rogerson (NLA), 30 August 1994.
Two Roman coins. See list in file.
Fragment of medieval bronze colander.
Compiled by A. Rogerson (NLA), 3 October 1994.
Earlier 1995. Metal-detecting. Site extended to the whole field. .
Roman coins and metalwork.
Early Saxon brooches.
See lists in file.
Compiled by A. Rogerson (NLA), 3 July 1995.
September-October 2013. Metal-detecting. .
5 Roman coins.
1 medieval coin.
Medieval/post-medieval lead weight.
1 post-medieval pottery sherd.
Information from PAS import.
A. Beckham (HES), 11 November 2013.
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- KNIFE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- SICKLE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HARNESS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- PERSONAL ORNAMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 275 AD to 286 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 275 AD to 402 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 325 AD to 335 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 355 AD to 361 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 367 AD to 375 AD)
- BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- COLANDER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HARNESS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (13th Century - 1280 AD to 1281 AD)
- WEIGHT (13th Century to 17th Century - 1300 AD to 1700 AD)
- POT (17th Century - 1615 AD to 1700 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 12 SW 8. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Swannington. |
|---||Photograph: 1995. LCS 1-2, Bronze escutcheon.. |
|---||Photograph: 1995. LCS 5-6, Early Saxon brooch fragment.. |
|---||Photograph: 1995. LCS 9-10, Early Saxon brooch fragment.. |
|---||Photograph: 1995. LCS 15-16, Enamelled mount.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Wortley, J. D. 1929. Antiquarian Treasures Discovered at Swannington, Norfolk. No 4. |
|<S2>||Publication: 30 November . Eastern Evening News. EEN. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: 1931. The Proceedings of the Society from 12th June to 31st December, 1930. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXIV Part II pp xxxiii-xlix. p xxxvii. |
|<S4>||Illustration: Rogerson, A. 1994. Sketch of a Late Bronze Age knife/sickle fragment.. Film. 1:1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...