|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Howard's House, No 97 King Street|
Howard's House was built in the mid to late 17th century for Henry Howard, who had laid out the pleasure gardens that extended east from here to the the river on the site of the Austin Friary (NHER 374). It is possible that this building, now converted to offices, contains the remains of the Friary gatehouse. The building itself is of red brick and flint rubble, with a pantile roof and rendered street facades. Although it underwent alteration in the 17th and 18th century, it retains a fine staircase with open-work panels inside.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2346 0830|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Former house now offices. 17th century with 18th and 20th century alterations.
Rendered on street facades, red brick on principal elevations. Pantile roof. Two storeys. Two first floor windows on street. Off-centre door with pilasters supporting open pediment. Four bay elevation at right-angles to street line. Two-leaf door with two light fanlight at extreme left. Sash windows with glazing bars. 20th century French doors in right-hand bay; brick stringcourse and cornice with fascia central sundial dated 1840. Hipped roof with small flat roof dormer. Fine staircase with open-work panels. Flint rubble walls, L-shaped building. Fine open well staircase and roof, original.
1970s or 1980s. Norwich Survey.
Howard House, two storeyed and L-shaped originally of mid 17th century but considerably altered in 18th century.
See (S1) and (S2).
T.E. Miller (NLA), 2004.
Making patio - dome broken through of ice house (context 2).
W. Milligan (NCM) 22 July 1985.
Report and photographs. , , . See file NCM.
Former schedule in file.
This was the garden house of the gardens laid out by Howard on the site of the Austin Friary (NHER 374) and may incoporate the remains of the gatehouse, according to A. Shelley (NAU).
E. Rose (NLA), 10 November 1999.
See press cutting (S3) in file.
T. Sunley (NLA) 7 November 2007.
1998. NAU Report No. 388.
An archaeological impact assessment emphasizes the historical significance of King Street, the north-south spine of the Late Saxon town and the character of the site, which was occupied from an early date although just outside the line of the defensive circuit. The waterfront area of King Street was of growing importance to institutional 'developers' from the 13th century, with ecclesiastical and commerical interests dominating in the 15th century (resulting in 'Dragon Hall'). After the Dissolution the major ecclesiastical precinct, the Austin Friars, became private gardens to the Duke of Norfolk's townhouse, Howard House. Development here will have a major impact on the remains of the defensive circuit and may provide an opportunity to examine further the Late Saxon remains and the medieval friary and waterfront complexes.
D. Holburn (HES), 5 December 2011.
- GATEHOUSE (Medieval - 1226 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- ICEHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1650 AD to 2050 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1650 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 4 Jul 1998. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Administrators make pledge on decaying historic house. 14 August. |
|---||Thesis: Smith, R. 1990. An Architectural History of Norwich Buildings, c. 1200 - 1700. Unpublished Thesis. p 409. |
|---||Unpublished document: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Carter, A.. 1987. Building Survey. |
|<S3>||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1999. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1998. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 369-387. p 380. |
|37411||Parent of: St Anne's Wharf (Monument)|
|374||Part of: Austin Friary Precinct, King Street, Norwich (Monument)|
|MNO9377||Related to: Howard's House 97 King Street NORWICH (Revoked)|
Find out more...