|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Parkland associated with Burlingham Hall|
The remains of an 18th century landscape park, associated with Burlingham Hall and owned by the Burroughes family until its sale in 1919.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3699 1034|
|Parish:||LINGWOOD AND BURLINGHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
|SOUTH WALSHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Remains of an 18th century landscape park, associated with Burlingham Hall and owned by the Burroughes family.
(S1) shows the park extending further to the north than the 19th century extent, along with a number of lost drives.
(S2) indicates that the northern section of park was by then reduced to a drive along with a gate lodge within a narrow band of plantation.
(S3) Shows the outline of the park as broadly the same as (S2). 'North Plantation' and 'Green Lane Plantation' are marked along with gate lodges at each.
(S4) shows three gate lodges and the park appears to have extended to the east to include 2 additional fields.
(S5) shows the main parkland area subdivided into 3 fields with extensive freestanding timber within the park. The northern plantation is named 'Belt Plantation' and the southern ones 'Church Plantation' 'Half Round Plantation' and 'Turnpike Plantation'.
The Burlingham Hall estate was sold in 1919. The plantations now form part of the Burlingham Woodland Walks network. Some circular tree clumps and the eastern gate lodge also survive.
A. Yardy (HES), 3 June 2011.
- PARK (18th Century to 21st Century - 1750 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S4>||Map: Luckraft, J.P.. 1838. Burlingham Tithe Map. |
|<S5>||Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. |
|14468||Related to: Site of Burlingham Hall (Monument)|