|Type of record:||Building|
A hall of about 1900 in vaguely Classical style, now used as a school. The first building on the site burnt down in 1589 and was rebuilt as a manor house. This was demolished in 1789, being rebuilt in the Italianate style, only to be burnt down again in 1899.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 9657 8129|
|Parish:||RIDDLESWORTH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
First building on site burnt down 1589; rebuilt as manor house 1600; after alterations, demolished in 1780; rebuilt in Italianate style and burnt down 1899 according to (S1).
Present hall is of 1900 by H. J. Green according to (S2), and is in vaguely Classical style. It in fact looks older than it is, the style being more that of the mid 19th century. Now used as school.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 November 1979.
Press cutting in file.
In a storm in November 1703 a stack of chimneys fell down and killed in her bed Eleanor Drury, nee Harsnet of Great Fransham.
E. Rose (NLA), 21 December 2002.
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MANOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SCHOOL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 612. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. School project inspired author. 3 February. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1901. Hundred of Guiltcross. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VIII. pp 35-39. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 292. |
|30519||Parent of: Riddlesworth Park and multi-period finds (Monument)|
Find out more...