|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Saviour's Church, Magdalen Street, Norwich|
St Saviour's Church is a small church with a 14th and 15th century nave, chancel and abruptly shortened tower. For a city church, particularly one in a city so fond of them, this building is small, and looks all the more diminutive for the almost complete lack of nearby contemporary buildings. The church is also a bare few metres from the Stump Cross Flyover which straddles a carpark under which the churchyard lies, and casts a gloom over the surrounding area.
Despite this unpromising situation, St Saviour's has recovered from redundancy and is currently leased by the Norwich branch of the New Frontiers International Church. They have conducted a renovation, refitting the church for use as a youth outreach centre and revealing an intricate scissor-braced roof.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23188 09257|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
St Saviour's Church, Magdalen Street.
Former parish church now redundant and used as Squash Club. 14th and 15th century with 19th century re-working.
Flint with brick and stone dressings. West tower, nave and chancel. South porch and 19th century north vestry. Broad scissor-brace roof.
Information from (S1) and (S2).
July to August 1996. Observation by NAU during conversion of building to Christian youth centre.
Hole by porch on exterior revealed only redeposited human bone. Removal of nave pew platforms produced no archaeological deposits. Stanchion holes within chancel indicated that ground level had been dug away to a depth of 2m to insert brick vaults for the Beevor family in the late 18th century; the fill contain clay pipes. Beneath the north vestry a number of brick vaults were noted, one containing a skeleton without coffin.
See report (S3) in secondary file.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 November 1996.
The vestry was inspected by E. Rose (NLA) 25 March 1998. It is a small gabled brick building, the bricks having diagonal skintlings (pre around 1770). The north window is blocked by a tomb slab of 1747, but this may be reset. The east window has been altered. The vestry cuts a Decorated chancel window which was not restored in the 19th century as the others were. This means the vaults beneath are neither a Victorian feature nor indicate a medieval chantry, and are therefore even more unusual.
E. Rose (NLA), 27 March 1998.
Note however an 18th century burial in the vestry of St George Tombland.
And Tom Martin's note of vault beneath a ruined vestry at Kimberley.
E. Rose (NLA), 16 November 1999.
- CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 2050 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COFFIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Publication: Cox, J. C. 1911. Country Churches: Norfolk. Vol II. p 189. |
|---||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1997. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1996. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt IV pp 547-564. p 557. |
|---||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. p 75. |
|---||Leaflet: Norwich Historic Churches Trust & HEART. St Saviour, Magdalen Street.. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Carter, A.. 1987. Building Survey. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Shelley, A. and Forrest, K. Nov 1996. NAU Report No. 191. A Watching Brief at St Saviour's Church, Norwich. |
|Site 1274||Parent of: Church of St.Saviour, Magdalen Street (Monument)|
|Site 1979||Parent of: St Saviour`s Church, Magdelen Street (Monument)|
|Site 2052||Parent of: St Saviour`s Church, Magdelen Street (Monument)|
|Site 2053||Parent of: St Saviour`s Church, Magdelen Street (Monument)|
|Mon 757||Parent of: St Saviour's Church, Magdalen Street (Monument)|
|Mon 1444||Parent of: St Saviour's Churchyard (Monument)|
|851||Parent of: St Saviour's Hospital, Coslany (Monument)|
Find out more...