|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||St Saviour's Hospital, Coslany|
St Saviour's Hospital was founded before 1297, and may have been dissolved in the late 14th century. The location of this hospital is uncertain, but may fall in the parish of St Saviour (NHER 597) or St Michael-at-Coslany. It is recorded that some medieval remains, which may derive from the hospital, are incorporated in later buildings on the west site of Magdalen Street down Elephant Yard and Bishop's Court, nearly opposite St Saviour's Church.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2312 0928|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Founded before 1297 - dissolved ?in late 14th century.
'Blomefield places the site of this hospital in the parish of St Michael-at-Coslany, but other authorities have stated it to be in St Saviour's parish - hence the dedication of this hospital. There are some medieval remains incorporated in later buildings on the west side of Magdalen Street down Elephant Yard and Bishop's Court, nearly opposite St Saviour's Church'. See (S1).
- HOSPITAL (Medieval - 1297 AD? to 1539 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1934. The Monastic Remains of Norfolk and Suffolk. p 61. |
|<S2>||Publication: Knowles, D. and Hadcock, R. N. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. pp 329, 382. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Page, W. (ed.). 1906. The Victoria History of Norfolk. The Victoria History of the Counties of England. Vol 2. p 57. |
|597||Part of: St Saviour's Church, Magdalen Street, Norwich (Building)|
Find out more...