Record Details

NHER Number:52836
Type of record:Monument
Name:Dilham Islands pleasure garden

Summary

The Dilham Islands were created in the 1840s by Shephard Thomas Taylor. 25 acres of bog were transformed into six islands surrounded by manmade waterways, accessible by a series of ornate swing bridges. A two-storey summer house and four boat houses were constructed around the islands.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3245 2696
Map Sheet:TG32NW
Parish:DILHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

May 2009.
The Dilham Islands were created in the 1840s by Shephard Thomas Taylor, owner of Hill House in the village. 25 acres of bog were transformed into six islands surrounded by manmade waterways, accessible by a series of ornate swing bridges. The rivers were used for boating and fishing. A two-storey summer house provided a central meeting place on one of the islands. Monkey puzzle and oak trees were planted 1851, and a boating park and four boat houses were constructed at the same time. Little is known of the pleasure ground after 1907, and it fell into disrepair. It is rumoured that a Second World War bomber got rid of its bombs over summer house, and once it had lost its roof it fell apart. Poplar trees were planted in the 1960s, encouraged by the government, and were intended to be used for matchsticks and mining. Some restoration work was begun in 2009, and the gardens will occasionally be opened up to the public.
See (S1)- (S3) for further details
H. White (NLA), 1 June 2009

Monument Types

  • BOAT HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
  • SWING BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BOATING LAKE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1840 AD to 2050 AD)
  • GARDEN BUILDING (Post Medieval to Modern - 1840 AD to 2050 AD)
  • ORNAMENTAL BRIDGE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1840 AD to 2050 AD)
  • PLEASURE GARDEN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1840 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Revealing Norfolk's lost garden. 23 May.
<S2>Website: 2009. http://www.origins.org.uk/genuki/NFK/places/d/dilham/white1845.shtml.
<S3>Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk.

Related records

8207Related to: 19th century drainage pump (Monument)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service