|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Old Railway Station|
Victorian railway station buildings and platform.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 70681 99638|
|Parish:||STOKE FERRY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
May 2008. Building survey.
The site comprises five buildings, only three of which are of historical interest. All of the buildings are constructed in white brick with several flush stringcourses of red brick, and have utilised several architectural features to enhance the appearance of the buildings. These features include high plinths, stepped and dentillated stringcourses under the eaves, windows with segemental arches formed in alternating red and white brick and blueslate tiled roofs with red ceramic ridge tiles.
Two semi-detached cottages are located to the north of the station building. The cottages are two storeys high with the second storey occupying the roof space. The roof is two gabled roofs joined by a central intersection with two gabled dormer windows. Both cottages have single storey extensions to the rear that appear to be roughly contemporary with the building of the cottages. One of the cottages has been roofed with grey (possibly ceramic) tiles. Below the largest lower floor soth facing windows of both buildings is some interesting decorative 'fish scale' woodwork in the segmental arch. Internally, severl original features remain, including a decorative dado rail and Victorian fireplaces.
The station building has a gabled roof at single storey level, with an unequal gabled T-plan roof at the second storey level. All original windows and doors have been replaced. A number of repairs/ alterations have been made to the building, the majority of which occur in the west end of the building and include blocking up a window, some reconstruction and some rendering. A small section of wall extends from the building to the west, suggesting a previous structure in this location. Documentary evidence suggests that the building once had two canopies, one of which was removed during World War One.
To the south of the station building was the goods shed, now used as a workshop. The building has been extended to encompass the north-east corner where previously a track emerged from the goods shed. With the exception of the two windows in the north elevation and a large inserted window, all windows retain their original metal casements. On the south elevation a pair of large original wooden sliding doors survive. A similar size opening has been bricked up to the west. A modern lean-to shed has been built on to the west, over the location of a very large pair of wooden doors. Parts of the doors remain. The north elevation has several supporting pilasters extending to the stringcourses of the eaves. The building has a king post and tusk tenon roof structure.
There are several other structures on the site, including a modern porta cabin, storage unit and office buildings. The railway platform remains in situ, with approximately 1/6 of it having been removed.
See (S1) for further information.
See also (S2).
H. White (NLA) 2 December 2008
October 2011. Little if any change. Site boarded up. See digital photos.
D. Gurney (HES), 28 October 2011.
- GOODS SHED (Post Medieval to Modern - 1881 AD to 2050 AD)
- RAILWAY PLATFORM (Post Medieval to Modern - 1881 AD to 2050 AD)
- RAILWAY STATION (Post Medieval to Modern - 1881 AD to 2050 AD)
- RAILWAY WORKERS COTTAGE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1881 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Corrigan, A. 2008. CAM ARC Report No.1028. An Historic Building Survey at The Old Railway Station, Stoke Ferry. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: Gurney, D & Hoggett, R. 2009. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2008. Norfolk Archaeology. XLV Part IV pp 570-578. p 578. |
|13598||Part of: Route of Downham and Stoke Ferry Railway, later Great Eastern (Monument)|