|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Route of Downham and Stoke Ferry Railway, later Great Eastern|
This railway branch ran from the Denver Junction of the main King's Lynn to Ely (NHER 13554) line just south of Downham Market to Stoke Ferry, with stations at Denver, Ryston, Abbey and Stoke Ferry, with sidings at Squires Siding and Keebles Siding, and a goods yard at Stoke Ferry. It opened on 1st August 1882, and closed to passengers on 22 September 1930, with freight use continuing for many years until around 1982. The line was predominantly used for the transport of sugar beet, and Abbey station connected with the Wissington Light Railways, which was a network of agricultural lines opened in 1905 and partly worked for the Ministry of Agriculture until closure in 1957.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 6459 9953|
|Parish:||DENVER, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|FORDHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|NORTHWOLD, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|RYSTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|STOKE FERRY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|WEREHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|WEST DEREHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|WRETTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Opened 1882; closed to passengers 1930, for goods to Stoke Ferry 1965 (part still in use for sugar beet). Closed fully 1982.
Denver-Ryston-Squires Siding-Abbey-Keebles Siding-Stoke Ferry (goods yard).
The line was originally planned to go to Brandon.
East of Wereham Fen Drove much of the trackbed has been completely ploughed out, bumps in crossing roads alone remaining. One part still used as track. Crossing house here small, but at Wretton Fen Drove and Stoke Drove/ School Lane remarkably large, like station house at Abbey. Spur of overgrown track remains from Keeble's siding to Wereham Fen Drove. Clinker found. Rail chairs here are stamped LNE-C 1924.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 October 1978.
For detailed history and description see (S1).
Ryston station was at first called Fordham. There was a temporary ballast siding at Abbey running 1 mile north. The earthworks were constructed as far as Gooderstone but never used. The signal at Ryston crossing had a GER post and spectacle but an LNER distant arm.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 January 1983.
Trackbed at Abbey Station (which is still sign posted) used as farm track but at Fordham and to west is overgrown. Fordham (Ryston station) retains station house, crossing cottage and gates. At Denver the crossing cottage is being extended in sympathetic materials.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 January 2001.
- RAILWAY (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1882 AD to 1982 AD)
- RAILWAY TRANSPORT SITE (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1882 AD to 1982 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Paye, P.. 1982. Stoke Ferry Branch. |
|51548||Parent of: Old Railway Station (Building)|
Find out more...