|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Saw Mill, Sheringham Wood.|
A steam-powered saw mill constructed around 1927 to supply timber for the maintenance of Sheringham Hall (NHER 6297) and Park (NHER 22881). The mill features trolleys on either side of a fixed saw, extending on rails 5m to the west and 7m to the east, and was powered by a steam engine. The mill was restored by the National Trust and a group of volunteers in 1997 and was used on occasional week-ends until about 2004.
|Grid Reference:||TG 13360 41620|
|Parish:||UPPER SHERINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
A dis-used saw bench in Sheringham Park, restored by the National Trust. It is a cast iron, self-acting bench with in- and outfeed trolleys working on a similar principle to the Holmes sawbench at the Gunton sawmill. It was made by Dening, of Chard, Somerset, and can take a 48" blade. It appears in a 1927 catalogue, but the date of installation at Sheringham remains uncertain. It was likely purchased by Henry Morris Upcher in the early 1920's when he inherited the property. It was belt driven on fast/loose pulleys, and originally powered by a portable steam engine (towed by horses), but it is thought it was later run by a Case 12/20 cross-engine tractor. The saw would have been used to cut timber for maintenance on the estate.
When the National Trust acquired the property in 1987, it was found standing over a concrete-block lined sawdust pit under dense vegetation. In 1997 it was restored with the help of volunteers and was used on occasional week-ends for the subsequent 7-8 years. During this use,the sawbench was powered by a 1924 steam locomotive similar to the one which likely powered the original mill. The remains of a coal heap was located during the restoration while levelling the ground for the placement of the engine. The timber produced during these demonstrations was used to restore some of the farm buildings on the site.
Information from (S1) and (S2).
H. Hamilton (NLA), 3 April 2008.
January 2007. Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey.
Sheringham Wood Site 22:
A post medieval to modern saw mill was noted during a rapid earthwork survey of Sheringham Wood. The saw mill features trolleys on either side of a fixed saw, extending on rails 5m to the west and 7m to the east. The mill was constructed around 1927.
Information from (S3).
H. Hamilton (NLA), 25 March 2008.
- SAW MILL (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1927 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Sawmill is back with power buzz. 29 March. |
|<S2>||*Verbal Communication: Zealand, K.. 2008. E-mail from K. Zealand, National Trust. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Cushion, B. 2008. Sheringham Park. Ancient Woodland Archaeological Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey. Brian Cushion Archaeological & Cartographical Surveyor. |
|6297||Related to: Sheringham Hall (Building)|
|22881||Related to: Sheringham Park (Monument)|